If you are from another country, you would need a Canadian work permit to work in Canada. To work in Canada, you normally need a work permit. In certain cases, you can work in Canada without a visa or a job offer.
How to get a work visa for Canada?
To obtain a temporary Canadian work visa, follow these four steps:
Step 1: Take Labour Market Impact Assessments (LMIA)
A temporary tourist visa does not grant you the right to work in Canada. So, you have to apply for Canda work visa. In most cases, you must first qualify for the Labour Market Impact Assessment before applying for a temporary Canadian Work Visa.
Who does not need to apply for an LMIA?
- Skilled Workers covered under the NAFTA agreement;
- Intra-Company Transferees;
- International Experience Canada participants (also known as Working Holiday Permit holders);
- Post-Graduate temporary work permit holders;
Step 2: Employer Extends Temporary Job Offer
The employer must give a copy of the successful LMIA to the foreign skilled worker along with a specific “job offer note.”
CIC requires Canadian businesses to prepare a formal employment contract, also known as a “Work Offer Letter”. Once the LMIA is approved, the Canadian employer will make the foreign skilled worker a temporary job offer.
Step 3: Foreign Skilled Worker Applies For a Work Permit
After you’ve completed your LMIA and received your “Job Offer Letter,” you will apply for a Canadian Temporary Work Permit. If your prospective employer is located in Quebec, you will be required to obtain a Certificat d’acceptation du Québec (CAQ) in order to work there temporarily. When applying for a temporary foreign worker permit, you might be asked to meet with a visa officer for an interview. A Canada Work Permit will be granted if the visa officer is satisfied that the foreign worker’s job will not have an adverse effect on Canadian employment and that the foreign worker fits the role.
Step 4. Get Issued a Canadian Temporary Work Permit
A Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) officer will issue the Canadian Temporary Work Permit at the point of entry when the skilled foreign worker arrives in Canada.
Who is eligible for a work permit in Canada?
You must, regardless of where you apply:
- Prove to an officer that when your work permit expires, you can leave Canada.
- Demonstrate that you have enough money to support yourself and your family while in Canada and when you return home.
- You must follow the rules and have no criminal history.
- Not pose a security threat to Canada.
- Be in good health and, if appropriate, have a medical examination.
- Not intend to work for an employer who has been designated as “ineligible” on the registry of employers who have failed to meet the requirements.
Getting a Job in Canada If you’re on a student visa:
Since June 2014, Canadian Study Permit holders who meet the eligibility requirements have been able to work on or off campus without requiring a separate work permit. The following are the requirements for being eligible to work up to 20 hours per week:
- A valid Canadian Study Permit is required.
- You must be enrolled as a full-time student.
- You must be enrolled in a recognised design programme in Canada.
- Must be pursuing a post-secondary education in Canada, or in Quebec, must be pursuing a secondary level technical or post-secondary level degree.
- You must be enrolled in a programme leading to a degree, diploma, or certificate.
- You must be enrolled in a programme that lasts at least six months.
How much money do you need for a Canadian working visa?
To qualify for permanent residency, a single applicant without a spouse or common-law partner and any minor children must have a minimum of CAD $12, 960 in savings. In order to immigrate to Canada, a couple must have a total of CAD $16, 135 in settlement funds.
How long does it take to get a work visa for Canada?
The processing time for a work permit in Canada has the widest range. The processing time for a Work Permit is entirely dependent on the completion of your application and the office where you applied. A Canadian Work Permit will take anywhere from one to twenty-seven weeks to process.
Can I apply for a Canadian work permit without a job offer?
To apply to be a part of the Express Entry scheme, you don’t need to have a work offer. If this is the case, you must register with Employment and Social Development Canada’s work bank in order to be associated with a Canadian employer.