Means of Transportion in Hong Kong is able to satisfy all the needs of tourists. The land transport comprises the MTR, taxis, buses, minibusses, and tramways. Also, ferry services between Kowloon and Hong Kong Island, and to the Outlying Islands. You can easily went to most tourist areas by MTR, but there are a few tourist areas and spots, which you can only get to by bus or taxi, such as Repulse Bay, Stanley Market, Ocean Park or Aberdeen.
For those who are planning to stay in Hong Kong for a few days, it is a good idea to buy an Octopus card. So here is article about Transportation System of Hong Kong.
Taxi Service Information
Hong Kong taxis are a very convenient and less expensive way for point-to-point travel throughout the city. And in other major cities, they can be easily fall(hailed) on the street, can be booked by phone, ordered by a hotel, or can be easily found at taxi stands. Taxis are able to carry four or five passengers at a time. For a child under the age of 3 is tickets are not counted.
Fares and Extra Charges
- The taxi fare depends on the distance traveled, plus additional charges, if any. Also, it varies depending on the type of taxi.
- The fare for red taxis starts from HK$20 and covers the first two kilometers. Every subsequent 200 meters or every minute of waiting cost HK$1.5.
- When the amount reaches HK$72.5, every subsequent 200 meters or 1 minute will cost HK$1.
- The fare for green taxis starts from HK$16.5 and covers the first two kilometers. Every subsequent 200 meters or every minute of waiting cost HK$1.3. When the amount reaches HK$55.5, every subsequent 200 meters or 1 minute will cost HK$1.
- The fare for blue taxis starts from HK$15 and covers the first two kilometers. Every subsequent 200 meters or every minute of waiting cost HK$1.3. When the amount reaches HK$132, every subsequent 200 meters or 1 minute will cost HK$1.2.
Bus Service Information
- Buses are another kind of public transport in Hong Kong and very popular among residents. Bus routes cover almost all areas of Hong Kong, except outlying islands.
- Also, buses are the major public transport for traveling to the southern side of Hong Kong Island (Ocean Park, Repulse Bay, Stanley Market, Aberdeen and Ap Lei Chau Island), because the MTR covers only the northern side of the Island.
- Bus services start from early morning till midnight and the frequency is high. Usually double-decker buses are used on the routes and a route direction is written on a front window of a bus.
Ferries Service Information
Ferries are an effective form of means of transportation between Hong Kong Island and Kowloon. Besides, they only transport to the Outlying Islands, such as Cheung Chau Island or Peng Chau Island, Lamma Island,
Below is the list of ferry routes.
Ferry Services between Kowloon and Hong Kong Island
- The Star Ferry is not only a cost effective mode of transportation, but also it is a world-famous sightseeing trip between Hong Kong Island and Kowloon.
- There are two routes: Tsim Sha Tsui ‹‹ ›› Central and Tsim Sha Tsui ‹‹ ›› Wan Chai.
- These services across Victoria Harbour run daily from early morning till 11-11:30pm with a frequency every 6-20 minutes. The journey takes about 8-10 minutes.
- Service Hours:
Tsim Sha Tsui ‹‹ ›› Central: 6:30am – 11:30pm. Frequency: 6-12 mins.
Tsim Sha Tsui ›› Wan Chai: 7:20am – 10:50pm (Mon – Sat); 7:30am – 10:50pm (Sun and P.H.).
Wan Chai ›› Tsim Sha Tsui: 7:30am – 11:00pm (Mon – Sat); 7:40am – 11:00pm (Sun and P.H.).
Hong Kong Tramways
In 1904 the tramway line was opened and operates on the northern side of Hong Kong Island. It is the oldest modes of public transport in Hong Kong. In 1904, Hong Kong Tramways had 26 tramcars, but today, after 100 years, it has the largest double-deck tram fleet in the world, and having more than 160 tramcars and carrying more than 200,000 passengers a day.
Airport Transfer Services
Airport is located 35km from the city center, Hong Kong International Airport is doing the best transportation services between the airport and the city. There are many direction signs to each mode of airport transfer in the arrival hall. This is all about The transportation System in Hong Kong.