Transportation in Pakistan is vast and varied, but it is still in its developing stages. It serves a population of more than 200 million. The transport network in Pakistan consists of highways, railways, ports, public transports, and shipping services. Approximately 63 percent of the Pakistani population lives in villages. Therefore, for many, roads are an easy and effective means of transport.
Transportation in Pakistan
Pakistan’s total road network is over 260,000 long. A small number, 2,280 km, of these, include the National Highways (3.53 percent) and Motorways (0.87 percent). Strategic roads and expressways add 262 km and 100 km ( just 0.10 percent).
In the early 1990s, the development of motorways began. The aim was to create a good road network and minimize the use of national highways. The M2 was the first completed motorway. It connects Islamabad to the city of Lahore. Several new motorways like the M1 motorway and M3 motorway are also opened.
- There are a few taxi companies that operate in many of the largest cities in Pakistan. Particularly for traveling from airports to city centers.
- 24-hour taxi services are reasonably priced. But, many businesses during the holy month of Ramadan can not operate after sunset.
- Travelers have the option to take an auto-rickshaw available in urban areas. These are cheap but you can always negotiate the price before starting any journey.
- The larger centers including Karachi, Rawalpindi are get represented by car rental agencies.
- Traffic jams are most common across the major cities. The Suzuki Mehran and Toyota Vitz are the most popular cars on Pakistani highways.
- Many of the larger hotels can arrange vehicles for their guests, too. But, both inside and out of towns, the traveler can find the roads very dangerous.
- Pakistan trains run under a national railway company. The mainline operates from Karachi (20 hours), Rawalpindi and Peshawar to Lahore. Passengers can also choose daytime or overnight travel.
- Travelers have also first and second class options. Air-conditioned trainers are the perfect choice during the peak summer season.
- Tickets can be bought at all local bus stations, free travel for children under the age of three.
- The most famous travel company for intercity buses is Sammi Daewoo Express. This bus runs regular services between the larger cities.
- The prices for these journeys are very fair-sometimes cheaper than trains. However, it can take many days for the journeys.
- There are many other Sammi Daewoo cheaper bus and minibus firms. Buses are the most effective and comfortable. Like most bus companies, there is no need to book ahead, as buses leave local stations almost every hour. This is all about the most used Transportation In Pakistan.
For more information, read this resource about the Transportation Problems in Pakistan.